July 11, 2008

Refreshing reminder...

We are truly grateful for all the people we are living with and are around here. It's been a growing experience for Sarah and I. The other night we went with one of the seminary interns to ride across town. Her name is Khemtida, she is from Thailand. As we drove across town I was reminded of the simplicity but complexity of our Faith. Khemtida came to the U.S 14 years ago to study abroad. She grew up Buddhist, and was very connected with her family. While in the U.S she began taking English as a Second Language(ESL)classes. She told us that she began to see Jesus in her teacher and ended up becoming a Christian through that experience. She began her journey following Jesus... "the One true God" she said. Within the hour that we spent with her I was encouraged so deeply. There was a simple and genuine sincerity that was seen deep within her heart. She began to attend New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and at that time... her family disowned her, they refused to talk with her, and for years they didn't talk. Now she is almost finished with her Masters of Divinity so they are impressed with almost 10 years of education so they have started communicating a little more. I am telling you this story to express how sometimes in the U.S we forget that people really do get disowned because of the Gospel. People really do suffer because of the name of Jesus and this suffering produces such an intimacy that nothing can break it. Khemtida is a deep well of spiritual intimacy with Jesus, and it's a breath of fresh air here in the U.S because not many people have truly experience persecution in the name of Jesus. Remember today that many people are killed every day because of the name of Jesus. Children, mothers, fathers... they give their very life because they know the Truth and the Truth has set them free. Take a few minutes and pray for those suffering for Jesus' sake, and also pray that we could find it somewhere in our heart to desire the privilege of suffering for the sake of Jesus Christ our King. I love you all! Eric

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you guys are doing well! I miss you two! Come stay in our guest room in the little cabin in the woods when you get back!

grace and peace,
Nicole Mahshie

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric and Sarah,

I've loved all your posts. The people there mean so much to me. I can't wait to see you all. Coming in Thursday!!

Love,
Kathy

Joye said...

I love you guys and miss you. I am so proud of you. I know you will touch so many lives as you already have in Habersham.

This is the first time I have been on a blog. And, I am posting a comment ( I think that is how you say it - and Ashley thinks I don't know stuff - ha )

Joye

Joel Spencer said...

Great stuff guys - someone else's persepctive sure reminds us that God uses all kinds, colors and backgrounds. Glean all you can!

I truly do have little, if any understanding of suffering for the sake of Christ.