June 23, 2008

A genuinely good day...


Today has been a wonderful day for us here at the friendship house. Ever since we arrived Eric and I have been trying to adjust to the reality of life here among our new community. Things were not at all what we expected but God has called us here for this season and we know He will be faithful to change us and use us if we are willing to listen and obey. He delights in our willingness to follow Him wherever He leads. After talking with some friends about some of the questions rolling around in our heads we have come to the realization that Jesus has always, and will forever work all things for our good. He is never ever safe, but is indeed always good. Today was a fun day with the girls of Up2Hope, filled with crafts, laughter, games, Egyptian food, dress-up, and dancing. Something about being free to be silly refreshes your soul. Honest, if any of you haven't had a good dance around the room or a silly burst of laughter you should immediately stop reading and enjoy. We are called to enter the Kingdom as children, free from the cares of the world and willing to sing and dance no matter who is around. After camp Eric and I took a ride over to the park where we met eight new friends. We tossed the frisbee, spun in circles, rode around the sidewalks, and enjoyed a cold glass of water. They shared their afternoon with us and as they walked down the street I was overcome with thankfulness. I am thankful to be alive and to know real love. Love that enables me to care for people whom I have never met. Love that allows me to love people simply because they have been created for love. I realize more each day that I have freely been given all that I have and I never want to withhold one bit of what I've received from another. I want to pour out love and grace, mercy and kindness, forgiveness and joy into the lives of others the way it has been poured over me. God's love is like a rushing waterfall of all things beautiful, covering over all the darkness that used to be. I am so thankful to be a child of God and to have the privilege of sharing His good news with the poor and needy. It is indeed good news that the God who made us has made a way to bring us back to Himself and give us abundant life we never dreamed of. This news should change our lives forever. I am so excited about what the rest of the summer will hold for us. I thank God for all that He has done for us. Peace. Sarah Here's a short video we made for all of you who want a glimpse of everyday life...

7 comments:

Joel Spencer said...

Thanks for the video Sarah! It's like "CRIBS: Inner City Missions Edition".

Seriously though, thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

SARAH & ERIC,
What a nice home....funny thing..I KNOW EXACTLY where you are!!
We are coming soon.............
Jen

Sells' Mom said...

well, this is my second attempt to send you guys a comment! my tears have now stopped, so at least i'm not writting amist the tears! i love you two so much. I just wanted to share with you and anyone else reading how very, very proud of you i am. i don't cry tears of sadness, but tears of love. to see you walking through your home, and to see the love and peace in your eyes...man, God is so awesome! I can't wait to see you-the kids say hello, and they love you so much. i can't wait to go to the big screen and see you guys "hanging with Electra!!". I'll cover my eyes and ears during the rough parts---I just want to see you on the screen! (haha) Know that I love you, and think of you often. Take care of yourselves-and take time to enjoy it being the two of you!

DeeAnn said...

The kids love your home!! It's like a giant fort! I'm glad you shared it with us. Lily wants to show you her pretty rock on our blog, so come on over when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your blog plus the video... it made me tear up... I miss yall. Talk to you soon. Love... kori

Anonymous said...

I loved getting to see you two! I miss yall so much. I like seeing your new home for the summer and I pray blessings over it and I pray that you will always remember that your home is where you are together. (But never forget your roots, ha)
See you soon!
mom

Anonymous said...

I am with Pat and she does not know what to say except that was sad. She is now laughing and says "I hope you are happy" I lve you very much.

Maw Maw