June 21, 2008

the unexpected and the story of a street performer...


We have arrived at the end of week two and we are settling in more and more. Since we've been here we have mostly been spending time with the girls in the day camp UP2Hope and spending time with the other interns. We came expecting something totally different i must say. So it's taken a few days to adjust to what our experience is. Their have been many unexpected things so far in journey. (i.e we're learning to deny ourselves) Our days from 9 to 3 are filled with the smiles and restlessness of 10 girls from ages 9-12, they are so great! It's amazing to watch how they cling to us and to one another. There's one story I will share of a little girl named Nautica. The story starts with Sarah and I with some of the other interns walking through the french quarter after dinner one friday night. We walked past a street performer who happened to be a young boy painted as a silver statue. Behind him about 20 or 30 yards was a small little girl holding a clarinet. Putting two and two together we figured they were street kids because their was no adult around. So we walked up to this little girl and began talking with her and found out that the silver statue was her brother and that her mom brings them down to the square every night to make money to pay rent. So we invited this little girl named Nautica to come to the day camp. She asked if we had a flyer or something to give to her mother (we didn't) so we told her we would be back the next night to give her mom a flyer. Saturday night comes and Sarah and I head down to the square on our bikes. We walk up to her and it seems Nautica was suprised to see us again. This time her mother was sitting with them and for the next hour sarah and I sat with them on the curb hearing their story. After we left we had mixed feelings as to whether she would show up monday morning or not. And on Monday morning, believe or not, in walked Nautica with her mom and her 13 year old brother a little after 9:00.It's been amazing to watch her this week. She is precious. Our nights are mostly hanging out with the other interns here at the center. We play games mostly or just sit around and play with the babies. I have come to a realization while i've been here. I have realized how different and ab-normal our community is in Habersham and Toccoa. I realize how it isn't normal to experience what we are experiencing with our friends and family in Georgia. I miss you guys, I miss meaningful conversations, I miss worshiping with people, I miss hearing what's going on in people's hearts. I miss it. We have been here for two weeks, not very long but long enough to know that unless we don't spark a little flame, our relationships here aren't going to go much further. Like I said at the beginning, the experience so far has been unexpected, but it's a time to grow, it's a time to get uncomfortable, it's time draw from the well and pass along the waters that satify when christians connect deeply and walk together. Things may change within the next week, so pray that the Spirit would come and draw us together here at the center. The interns with the mothers, the mothers with the staff and the staff with the interns. Pray we could begin to connect on a deeper level and spur one another on to go deeper in the Lord. We miss all of you who pour into our lives on a weekly basis, those who stretch from Gainesville to Toccoa. Remember that what we have experienced with one another the past few years doesn't happen everywhere and that we are blessed to have one another. Pray that our relationships would deepen here at the Frienship House in New Orleans. We love you all thanks for you prayers. Eric

2 comments:

Joel Spencer said...

We truly are blessed to have friends and family as we do Eric. And, as you said, it is a rarity to have the depth of conversations and sense of what truly matters that we all have . That's why you have a well to draw from when you and Sarah sit with people like Nautica. As you described sitting with her and her mother, I literally see Jesus walking the streets in New Orleans, sharing His love for others.

It was so great to see you guys - just as we were there with you momentarily in the flesh, we are with you always in the Spirit. Continue to seek His face and all questions will be answered along the way.

Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

I sit crying hearing you say you missed us....I am glad you do. You have no idea how much you and Sarah mean to me. Before I read this I was sitting hear thinking..."If I just had a couple of hours with Eric, I really need to talk to him"...then I opened this and I thank you Eric...I love hearing how you are being Jesus to Nautica and her brother and mom. I know that they will forever remember the night that Jesus spoke to them and sat with them for an hour and brought them info for them to go and be loved on.Praise God that you and Sarah are so selfless.
I love you,
MOM